What do you get when you have two people madly in love, 7 children, one giant dog and heaps of fun? Many Hands House! Check back often and watch us cook vegan food, home school, catch babies, role-play, belly dance and practice that Old Time religion, all in a log cabin in Iowa.

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Salt Dough Ostara Tree

  I wanted to make a new Ostara craft this year. I followed my "hard fun" philosophy, and decided to make a salt dough Ostara tree.



I got the idea from The Easter Craft Book by Petra and Thomas Berger


Here is the salt dough recipe:

1 cup water
2 cups salt
3 cups white flour
2 tablespoons liquid starch

Pour the water into a saucepan. Add the salt. Stir continuously as you bring it to a boil. Add all the flour and starch in one go. Stir and knead it all together. Allow the dough to cool.

OK, I probably added more water and starch. And I used starch as a glue as well.

 I made the main body of the tree first. Then added the details. It took about a day and half for me to finish, while also rearing seven children, playing Game of Thrones card game, etc. At night I covered it with a damp cloth - but it was a little mashy in the morning, so maybe plastic wrap would work better.

When it was finished, I baked it in the oven for 8 hours at 200 degrees, checking it frequently.

Problem - I accidentally baked that egg into it. But it was collapsing in the oven otherwise.

 So - how to display it? My brilliant friend suggested I "modge podge" and mount it? I had imagined it to be more temporary, but like this idea. What do you think?

My children also created:
















Happy Ostara!

4 comments:

  1. Wow!!! it came out spectacular!!!

    don't mod podge it if you want to leave it outside in the field later for bugs and critters to eat, which is what I might do with something like that if I considered it a temporary decoration. Would they even eat something like that or is baking it making it impossible for critters to eat?

    Now I want to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's essentially an intricate salty cookie right now.

    ReplyDelete